The SSC CGL Exam pattern is very simple to understand. The examination is conducted in 4 stages names as Tier-I, Tier-II, Tier-III, Tier-IV, all these 4 stages have their sub-stages of examination.
You must also check out the Exam dates for Tier-I and Tier-II in the separate page
In this article, you’ll get information about SSC CGL Exam pattern along with the Marking Scheme (Positive marks/Negative Marks) allotted in the question paper.
SSC CGL Examination Tier-I is categorized in 4 stages
- General Reasoning and Intelligence
- Quantitative Aptitude
- General Awareness
- English Comprehension
All these blends and make a subtotal of 100 marks. Each subject contains 25 questions.
Hence, the total number of questions the whole Tier-I contains is 100. The time duration allotted is 60 minutes to complete the whole Tier-I examination.
|Serial No.||Sections||No. of Questions||Total Marks||Time Allotted|
|1||General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50||A cumulative time of 60 minutes|
SSC CGL Tier-I Exam Marking Scheme
- +1 for every correct answer
- -0.05 for every incorrect answer
|Masks Awarded Per Question||Negative Marking|
SSC CGL Tier-II Exam Pattern
SSC CGL Examination Tier-II is also categorized in 4 stages
- General Studies(Finance and Economics)
- Quantitative Ability
- English Language and Comprehension
All these blends and make a subtotal of 800 marks. Each subject is divided into 200 marks and contains 100 questions rather than the English Language of 200 questions.
Hence, the total number of questions the whole Tier-II contains is 500. The time duration allotted is 120 minutes to complete each paper of the whole Tier-II examination.
|Serial No.||Sections||No. of Questions||Marks Allotted||Time Allotted|
|1||Quantitative Ability||100||200||2 hours|
|2||English Language and Comprehension||200||200||2 hours|
|4||General Studies (Finance and Economics)||100||200||2 hours|
SSC CGL Tier-II Marking Scheme
Here, in SSC CGL Tier-II examination different criteria for the different subject is allotted.
SSC CGL Tier-II Papers
Marks Awarded per Question
SSC CGL Tier-III Exam Pattern
SSC CGL Tier-III examination is consists of Descriptive paper in English/Hindi, which language you want to choose. The paper has a weightage of 100 marks and time allotted to complete this paper is 1 hour(60 minutes).
As it is a subjective type of paper, there is no marking scheme implemented.
Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi
(Writing of Essay, Precis, Letter, Application, etc.)
|100 marks||1 hour or 60 minutes|
SSC CGL Tier-IV Exam Pattern
SSC CGL Tier-IV examination is basically conducted to test the cognitive skill in a candidate. This skill test gets accommodated in two steps by testing a computer proficiency test(CPT) and Data entry skill test(DEST).
The last step of the whole process is document verification, which is also mentioned below.
SSC CGL Data Entry Skill Test(DEST)
For the post of Tax Assistant of Central, (excise and Income Tax) this test is conducted.
To clear the exam:-
- Candidates need a typing speed of 8,000 words per hour on the computer.
- Candidates will be given a passage of 2,000 words, which have to clear in 15 minutes.
- Qualifying in nature
SSC CGL Computer Proficiency Test(CPT)
- Assistant Section Officer in CSS MEA and AFHQ
- Assistant in Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO) under the Ministry of Corporate Affairs
- Assistant (GSI) in the Ministry of Mines
- Inspector (Central Excise)
- Inspector (Preventive Officer)
- Inspector (Examiner) in CBEC
The test is of qualifying nature and consists of three modules:
- Word Processing
- Spread Sheet
- Generation of Slides
Educational qualification certificate
|Caste/category certificate, if applicable|
PwD certificate, if applicable
Mark sheets of all the three years of graduation
Provisional certificate/ certificate of graduation
Two passport-size coloured photos
Relevant certificate if seeking any age relaxation
Relevant documents for Ex-Servicemen
|No Objection certificate, in the case already employed in Government/Government undertakings|
Any other document specified in admit card
Above mentioned data needs to show data in an original as well as photocopy format and if fails to represent any of them his/her application will be canceled.
The syllabus for SSC CGL is basically designed by keeping basic of 10th and 12th grades.
Below mention is the Tier-I examination syllabus, which you can checkout.
SSC CGL Tier-I Syllabus
- Symbolic/Number Analogy
- Semantic Classification
- Symbolic/Number Classification
- Figural Classification
- Semantic Series
- Number Series
- Figural Series
- Problem Solving
- Word Building
- Coding & decoding
- Space Visualization
- Venn Diagrams
- Drawing inferences
- Address matching
- Date & city matching
- Classification of centre codes/roll numbers
- Critical thinking
- Emotional Intelligence
- Social Intelligence
- History- Harappa Civilization, Vedic culture, Medieval India and their important systems; India’s freedom movement and their leaders
- Geography- about countries and their geographical details, Famous Seaport and Airport and their location.
- Polity- Administrative, Legislative and judiciary of our Country, Election, Important constitution bodies like CAG, Symbols of political parties, duties & responsibilities of the major persons in the Parliament
- Economy-Budget related information and terminologies, Important persons involved in Economy of the Country and monetary institutions
- Physics- Laws, major Inventions and Discoveries.
- Chemistry- Characteristics of gases, atoms, molecules, Chemistry in everyday life.
- Biology-Important discoveries, Interesting facts about human body parts, Nutrition in Animals and Plants, Diseases and their causes.
- General Knowledge, current affairs
- Number System Problems
- Ratio & Proportion,
- Square roots,
- Profit and Loss
- Time and distance
- Time & Work
- Basic algebraic identities of School Algebra & Elementary surds
- Graphs of Linear Equations,
- Triangle and its various kinds of centres
- Congruence and similarity of triangles
- Regular Polygons
- Right Prism
- Right Circular Cone
- Right Circular Cylinder
- Rectangular Parallelepiped
- Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square base
- Complementary angles
- Heights and Distances
- Data analysis
- Synonyms & Antonyms
- One Word Substitution
- grammar skills
- spelling error
- comprehension passages