The SSC JE Syllabus 2021 is very vast. So, the student needs to very careful about their preparation.
The exam dates for SSC JE was released and was scheduled to conduct on the March.
But, now new dates are yet to be announced by the SSC.
Here in this article, you’ll get full information of SSC JE 2021 syllabus along with the SSC JE exam pattern.
According to this exam pattern of SSC Junior Engineer, the examination is conducted in two stages called Paper-I and Paper-II.
In the entire Engineering syllabus, the standard of the questions will be approximately relevant to the level of Diploma in Engineering (Civil/ Electrical/ Mechanical/Electronics).
But, from a distinguished Institute, University or Board which has a recognization by All India Board of Technical Education.
All the questions are going to be set in SI units. The SSC JE 2021 Exam syllabus is mentioned below:
The verbal and non-verbal both subject’s syllabus will be in the SSC JE Syllabus for General Intelligence.
Questions are actually designed to aim at testing the candidate’s general awareness of the environment around us and its practical implementation to society.
Questions will also be designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observations and experience in their scientific aspect as may be expected of any educated person.
SSC JE Exam Syllabus 2021: General Intelligence & Reasoning
- Analogies similarities & differences
- Space visualization
- Analysis & Judgement
- Decision making
- Visual memory
- Discrimination & Observation
- Relationship concepts (Blood Relations)
- Arithmetical Reasoning
- Verbal and figure classification
- Arithmetical Number Series
- The test will also include questions designed to test the candidate’s abilities to deal with abstract ideas and symbols and their relationships, arithmetical computations and other analytical functions.
SSC JE 2021 Syllabus: General Awareness
- India and its neighbouring countries especially pertaining to History
- Economic Scene
- General Polity
- Scientific Research
- These questions will be such that they do not require a special study of any discipline.
SSC JE Syllabus 2021: Civil Engineering
- Building Materials
- Costing and Valuation
- Soil Mechanics
- Irrigation Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
Structural Engineering: Theory of Structures
- Concrete Technology
- RCC Design
- Steel Design
SSC JE Syllabus: Electrical Engineering Syllabus
- Basic concepts
- Circuit law
- Magnetic Circuit
- AC Fundamentals
- Measurement and Measuring instruments
- Electrical Machines
- Fractional Kilowatt Motors and single phase induction Motors
- Synchronous Machines
- Transmission and Distribution
- Estimation and Costing
- Utilization and Electrical Energy
- Basic Electronics
SSC JE Exam Syllabus 2021: Mechanical Engineering
- Theory of Machines and Machine Design
- Engineering Mechanics and Strength of Materials
- Properties of Pure Substances
- 1st Law of Thermodynamics
- 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
- Air standard Cycles for IC Engines
- IC Engine Performance
- IC Engines Combustion
- IC Engine Cooling & Lubrication
- Rankine cycle of System
- Boilers & Classification
- Fitting & Accessories
- Air Compressors & their cycles
- Refrigeration cycles
- Principle of Refrigeration Plant
- Nozzles & Steam Turbines.
- Properties & Classification of Fluids
- Fluid Statics
- Measurement of Fluid Pressure
- Fluid kinematics
- Dynamics of Ideal fluids
- Measurement of Flow rate
- basic principles
- Hydraulic Turbines
- Centrifugal Pumps
- Classification of steels
SSC JE Paper-II Syllabus:
SSC JE Syllabus 2021: Civil & Structural Engineering
- Physical and Chemical properties
- standard tests
- Uses and manufacture/quarrying of materials e.g.
- building stones
- silicate-based materials
- cement (Portland)
- asbestos products
- timber and wood-based products
- bituminous materials
Estimating, Costing and Valuation:
- glossary of technical terms
- analysis of rates
- methods and unit of measurement
- Items of work – earthwork
- Brickwork (Modular & Traditional bricks)
- CC work
- Timber work
- Boundary wall
- Brick building
- Water Tank
- Septic tank
- Bar bending schedule
- Centreline method
- Mid-section formula
- The trapezoidal formula
- Simpson’s rule
- Cost estimate of Septic tank
- flexible pavements
- Tube well
- isolates and combined footings
- Steel Truss
- Piles and pile-caps
- Valuation – Value and cost
- scrap value
- salvage value
- assessed value
- sinking fund
- depreciation and obsolescence
- methods of valuation
- Principles of surveying
- measurement of distance
- chain surveying
- working of prismatic compass
- compass traversing
- local attraction
- plane table surveying
- theodolite traversing
- adjustment of theodolite
- Definition of terms used in levelling
- curvature and refraction corrections
- temporary and permanent adjustments of dumpy level
- methods of contouring
- uses of contour map
- tachometric survey
- curve setting
- earthwork calculation
- advanced surveying equipment.
- Origin of soil
- phase diagram
- Definitions-void ratio
- degree of saturation
- water content
- specific gravity of soil grains
- unit weights
- density index and interrelationship of different parameters
- Grain size distribution curves and their uses.
- Index properties of soils Atterberg’s limits
- ISI soil classification and plasticity chart
- Permeability of soil
- coefficient of permeability
- determination of coefficient of permeability
- Unconfined and confined aquifers
- effective stress
- consolidation of soils
- Principles of consolidation
- degree of consolidation
- pre-consolidation pressure
- normally consolidated soil
- e-log p curve
- computation of ultimate settlement
- Shear strength of soils
- direct shear test
- Vane shear test
- Triaxial test
- Soil compaction
- Laboratory compaction test
- Maximum dry density and optimum moisture content
- earth pressure theories
- active and passive earth pressures
- Bearing capacity of soils
- plate load test
- standard penetration test
- Fluid properties
- measurements of flow
- Bernoulli’s theorem and its application
- flow through pipes
- flow in open channels
- pumps and turbines.
- 2II effects of irrigation
- types and methods of irrigation
- Hydrology – Measurement of rainfall
- runoff coefficient
- rain gauge
- Losses from precipitation – evaporation
- Water requirement of crops
- delta and base period
- Kharif and Rabi Crops
- Command area
- Time factor
- Crop ratio
- Overlap allowance
- Irrigation efficiencies
- Different type of canals
- types of canal irrigation
- loss of water in canals.
- Canal lining – types and advantages.
- Shallow and deep to wells
- yield from a well
- Weir and barrage
- Failure of weirs and permeable foundation
- Slit and Scour
- Kennedy’s theory of critical velocity
- Lacey’s theory of uniform flow
- Definition of flood
- causes and effects
- methods of flood control
- water logging
- preventive measure
- Land reclamation
- Characteristics of affecting fertility of soils
- purposes & methods
- description of land and reclamation processes
- Major irrigation projects in India
- Highway Engineering – cross sectional elements
- geometric design
- types of pavements
- pavement materials – aggregates and bitumen
- different tests
- Design of flexible and rigid pavements – Water Bound Macadam (WBM) and Wet Mix Macadam (WMM)
- Gravel Road
- Bituminous construction
- Rigid pavement joint
- pavement maintenance
- Highway drainage
- Railway Engineering- Components of permanent way – sleepers
- fixtures and fastening
- track geometry
- points and crossings
- track junction
- stations and yards
- Traffic Engineering – Different traffic survey
- speed-flow-density and their interrelationships
- intersections and interchanges
- traffic signals
- traffic operation
- traffic signs and markings
- road safety
- Quality of water
- source of water supply
- purification of water
- distribution of water
- need for sanitation
- sewerage systems
- circular sewer
- oval sewer
- sewer appurtenances
- sewage treatments
- Surface water drainage
- Solid waste management – types, effects, engineered management system.
- Air pollution – pollutants, causes, effects, control. Noise pollution – cause, health effects, control.
Theory of structures:
- Elasticity constants
- Types of beams – determinate and indeterminate
- bending moment and shear force diagrams of simply supported
- cantilever and overhanging beams
- Moment of area and moment of inertia for rectangular & circular sections
- bending moment and shear stress for tee
- channel and compound sections
- dams and retaining walls
- eccentric loads
- slope deflection of simply supported and cantilever beams
- critical load and columns
- Torsion of circular section.
- Advantages and uses of concrete
- cement aggregates
- importance of water quality
- water cement ratio
- mix design
- finishing and curing of concrete
- quality control of concrete
- hot weather and cold weather concerning
- repair and maintenance of concrete structures.
- RCC beams-flexural strength
- shear strength
- bond strength
- design of singly reinforced and double reinforced beams
- cantilever beams
- T-beams, lintels
- One way and two-way slabs
- isolated footings
- Reinforced brickworks
- retaining wall
- water tanks (RCC design questions may be based on both Limit State and Working Stress methods).
- Steel design and construction of steel columns
- beams roof trusses plate girders
SSC JE Exam Syllabus: Electrical Engineering
- Concepts of resistance
- capacitance and various factors affecting them.
- Concepts of current
- energy and their units.
- Kirchhoff’s law
- Simple Circuit solution using network theorems.
Magnetic Circuit: Concepts of flux
- Different kinds of magnetic materials
- Magnetic calculations for conductors of different configuration e.g. straight, circular, solenoidal, etc.
- Electromagnetic induction
- self and mutual induction.
AC Fundamentals: Instantaneous
- R.M.S. and average values of alternating waves
- Representation of sinusoidal waveform
- simple series and parallel AC Circuits consisting of R.L. and C
- Tank Circuit
- Poly Phase system – star and delta connection
- 3 phase power
- DC and sinusoidal response of R-Land R-C circuit
Measurement and measuring instruments:
- Measurement of power (1 phase and 3 phase, both active and re-active) and energy, 2 wattmeter method of 3 phase power measurement.
- Measurement of frequency and phase angle
- Ammeter and voltmeter (both moving oil and moving iron type)
- extension of range wattmeter
- Energy meter AC Bridges
- Use of CRO
- Signal Generator
- PT and their uses
- Earth Fault detection
Electrical Machines :
- (a) D.C. Machine – Construction
- Basic Principles of D.C. motors and generators
- their characteristics
- speed control and starting of D.C. Motors
- Method of braking motor
- Losses and efficiency of D.C. Machines.
- (b) 1 phase and 3 phase transformers – Construction,
- Principles of operation
- equivalent circuit
- voltage regulation
- O.C. and S.C. Tests
- Losses and efficiency
- Effect of voltage
- frequency and waveform on losses
- Parallel operation of 1 phase /3 phase transformers
- Auto transformers
- (c) 3 phase induction motors
- rotating magnetic field
- principle of operation
- equivalent circuit
- torque-speed characteristics
- starting and speed control of 3 phase induction motors
- Methods of braking
- effect of voltage and frequency variation on torque speed characteristics.
Fractional Kilowatt Motors and Single Phase Induction Motors:
- Characteristics and applications.
- Synchronous Machines – Generation of 3-phase e.m.f. armature reaction
- voltage regulation
- parallel operation of two alternators
- control of active and reactive power
- Starting and applications of synchronous motors
- Transmission and Distribution – Different types of power stations
- Load factor
- diversity factor
- demand factor
- cost of generation
- inter-connection of power stations
- Power factor improvement
- various types of tariffs
- types of faults
- short circuit current for symmetrical faults.
- Switchgears – a rating of circuit breakers
- Principles of arc extinction by oil and air
- H.R.C. Fuses
- Protection against earth leakage / over current
- Buchholtz relay
- Merz-Price system of protection of generators & transformers
- protection of feeders and bus bars
- Lightning arresters
- various transmission and distribution system
- comparison of conductor materials
- efficiency of different system.
- Cable – Different type of cables
- cable rating and derating factor
Estimation and costing:
- Estimation of lighting scheme
- electric installation of machines and relevant
- IE rules
- Earthing practices and IE Rules
Utilization of Electrical Energy:
- Electric heating
- Electric welding
- Electric drives and motors
- Working of various electronic devices e.g. P N Junction diodes
- Transistors (NPN and PNP type)
- BJT and JFET
- Simple circuits using these devices.
SSC JE Mechanical Engineering Syllabus:
Theory of Machines and Machine Design:-
Concept of simple machine, Four bar linkage and link motion, Flywheels and fluctuation of energy,
Power transmission by belts – V-belts and Flat belts, Clutches – Plate and Conical clutch, Gears – Type of gears, gear profile and gear ratio calculation, Governors – Principles and classification,
Riveted joint, Cams, Bearings, Friction in collars and pivots.
Engineering Mechanics and Strength of Materials
Equilibrium of Forces, Law of motion, Friction, Concepts of stress and strain, Elastic limit and elastic
constants, Bending moments and shear force diagram, Stress in composite bars, Torsion of circular
shafts, Bucking of columns – Euler’s and Rankin’s theories, Thin-walled pressure vessels.
Thermal Engineering:- Properties of Pure Substances: p-v & P-T diagrams of pure substance like H2O, Introduction of steam
table with respect to steam generation process; definition of saturation, wet & superheated status.
Definition of dryness fraction of steam, degree of superheat of steam. H-s chart of steam (Mollier’s
1st Law of Thermodynamics: Definition of stored energy & internal energy, 1st Law of
Thermodynamics of cyclic process, Non-Flow Energy Equation, Flow Energy & Definition of
Enthalpy, Conditions for Steady State Steady Flow; Steady State Steady Flow Energy Equation.
2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Definition of Sink, Source Reservoir of Heat, Heat Engine, Heat Pump
& Refrigerator; Thermal Efficiency of Heat Engines & co-efficient of performance of Refrigerators,
Kelvin – Planck & Clausius Statements of 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, Absolute or Thermodynamic
Scale of temperature, Clausius Integral, Entropy, Entropy change calculation of ideal gas processes.
Carnot Cycle & Carnot Efficiency, PMM-2; definition & its impossibility.
Air standard Cycles for IC engines: Otto cycle; plot on P-V, T-S Planes; Thermal Efficiency, Diesel
Cycle; Plot on P-V, T-S planes; Thermal efficiency.
IC Engine Performance, IC Engine Combustion, IC Engine Cooling & Lubrication.
Rankine cycle of steam: Simple Rankine cycle plot on P-V, T-S, h-s planes, Rankine cycle efficiency
with & without pump work.
Boilers; Classification; Specification; Fittings & Accessories: Fire Tube & Water Tube Boilers.
Air Compressors & their cycles; Refrigeration cycles; Principle of a Refrigeration Plant; Nozzles &
Steam Turbines, Fluid Mechanics & Machinery.
Properties & Classification of Fluid: ideal & real fluids, Newton’s law of viscosity, Newtonian and
Non-Newtonian fluids, compressible and incompressible fluids.
Fluid Statics: Pressure at a point, Measurement of Fluid Pressure: Manometers, U-tube, Inclined tube.
Fluid Kinematics: Streamline, laminar & turbulent flow, external & internal flow, continuity
Dynamics of ideal fluids: Bernoulli’s equation, Total head; Velocity head; Pressure head; Application
of Bernoulli’s equitation.
Measurement of Flow rate Basic Principles: Venturimeter, Pilot tube, Orifice meter.
Hydraulic Turbines: Classifications, Principles.
Centrifugal Pumps: Classifications, Principles, Performance.
Classification of Steels: mild steel & alloy steel, Heat treatment of steel, Welding – Arc Welding,
Gas Welding, Resistance Welding, Special Welding Techniques i.e. TIG, MIG, etc. (Brazing &
Soldering), Welding Defects & Testing; NDT, Foundry & Casting – methods, defects, different
casting processes, Forging, Extrusion, etc, Metal cutting principles, cutting tools, Basic Principles of
machining with (i) Lathe (ii) Milling (iii) Drilling (iv) Shaping (v) Grinding, Machines, tools &
Comment Below if any query came into your mind related to SSC JE Syllabus 2021, we will try to answer you within 24 hours.
If you find the information in this post useful, please share it with your friends and colleagues on Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter, and LinkedIn!